Thursday, December 11, 2008

Without a Vision

Without a vision, the people perish. There is also a great tendency to cast off restraint. Well, why not? Everything is going down the tubes anyway. What do you see ahead of you? Trouble, depression, economic downturn, gloom and doom? You're not alone. And even if you do see possibilities ahead of you, you're in the minority. The positive report is often not well received. The one holding out the potential of a good outcome is dismissed as a pollyanna type with a diminished capacity of understanding exactly what's happening and why it won't work out as hoped!

It's hard to keep your head, when all around are losing theirs. It's challenging to hold a positive vision for the future in the face of constant negativity. Where does the strength come from? There must be an internal compass, a guidance system, that keeps us centered and focused. I believe it is faith. Faith in a power greater than ourselves.

I have been without a vision and did cast off all restraint, resulting in a pit of drugs, depression and despair. But at the end of my rope, when the blackness surrounded me and I realized I was absolutely powerless to sustain myself, I discovered there is a God who loves me and gave Himself for me. What an amazing love story. He pulled me out of the pit and set my feet on solid ground. If not for Him, I would be dead. Instead I'm alive and thriving. He's brought me through the valley of the shadow of death and has held open a door to my future. There's hope for me yet!

To the natural eye, there is much to be concerned about; but to the eye of faith, there is always possibility and potential ahead of us. I have been without a vision. I choose now to keep the faith.

No comments: