Monday, December 15, 2008

Mentors, Magic and Me

While many take advantage of a mentoring relationship to find motivation, encouragement and inspiration, I find what I want most is magic to happen. Just being close to those who are accomplishing all I desire will somehow provide magical transference of power. Unfortunately, I have discovered that's not how it works. Too bad. I think there's real potential there ... at least for those of us not energized or motivated enough to do the hard work necessary to accomplish what we claim we want.

I remember my 9th grade Latin teacher explaining to me that if I worked as diligently on my Latin as I did on reasons why I didn't do my Latin, I could have an A in Latin. Ah, but an A in Latin was not my goal. My true plan was to do as little as possible in Latin and still get by with a passing grade. Is D passing? What does a 14 year old know about the need for Latin, not as an academic acheivement, but as a model of committing to the process required to accomplish a goal? Not enough!

How do we learn to take responsibility for the abilities given us, the tasks required of us or the just plain "stuff" of life that depends on our giving our best effort to complete? Several times while watching tennis, I've heard commentators remark that "it's so disappointing to see such a gifted player not performing at their best because they lack the discipline necessary to do so." Ouch. I resemble that remark and their words sting.

How do we get off the path of least resistance? My guess would be that we must intentionally step onto the road less travelled. We must be the one who takes no shortcuts, climbs steadily ahead and does not pull off to park. This requires diligence, discipline and dogged determination to stay focused and attentive. Fortunately, we can learn new tricks. It's never too late to change direction - and attitude - allowing our mentors to provide the advice and encouragement needed to help us attain our desired goals!

No comments: