Saturday, August 22, 2009

Confessions of a Control Freak

I've always prided myself on my flexibility and easy-going nature. I thought the Commodores were describing me when they sang, easy, like Sunday morning. However, when I find myself in a situation that I perceive needs a little adjusting, I quickly discover I'm not as easy-going as I'd like to think! Would you believe I want things my way?! Of course, it's only because I know my way is the best way!

Or is it because I'm afraid if things are not done my way then the outcome becomes unpredictable ... uncontrollable? I won't know what's happening and I won't be able to take care of it when it exceeds the limits of my knowledge or experience.

But what about allowing those who are familiar with the territory to do what they are trained to do? Hmm ... are they adequately trained ... fully experienced ... knowledgeable and able to handle any situation? You see, it's still fraught with the potential of being out of control.

When I'm away from the situations I have no choice but to let others do whatever they see fit; however, when I enter the situation myself, I want to give directions and orders on how it should be done. What to do? Do I stay away and let it be or do I stay involved and drive us all nuts?

There is a third alternative. I can learn to let go of the way it's been and allow the future to unfold, trusting God will keep everything under His control. My control issues are really about my fears. I'm afraid, if I let go, something "bad" may happen. I don't even know what it might be, but it lurks out there somewhere - just beyond my control.

Life is a never-ending teacher and there are always lessons to be learned. I hope I can learn them soon enough so that I can relax and enjoy the rest of my life before it's over.

2 comments:

Brandi Reynolds said...

I have those same lessons-I totally understand.

Pat Bennett said...

Thanks Brandi ... it's good to know we're not alone in the school of life!