Saturday, May 30, 2009

Time

I've had time on my mind (not too much time on my hands though.) This week we talked about time in the wilderness as part of our Transitions workshop. As we move through the transitions in our lives, we often lament ... I just wish this were over and I could get on with my life. But the catch is, this is your life - at least it's part of your life. It's your life right now.

The wilderness is that middle part of transition after something has ended, but before something new is in place. What will it be like, we wonder. What's next for me? The questions dance in our heads. But there is a season of waiting. Hurry up, we cry. Others inquire of us, what's taking so long? The questions may go unanswered.

One participant in our workshop is in a double transition. She was laid-off from her job and her daughter is preparing to enter the Air Force Academy next month. However, the job loss has gifted her with time to be with her daughter these final weeks at home. A mixed blessing, as is often the case with transitions.

What is your relationship with time? Do you use it, waste it, make it, spend it? One realization I had during a wilderness experience was how unaware I can be of time. Until something disrupts our routines, we may not even be aware of how we use our time.

As part of an Artist's Way workshop I took, we participated in a week-long media deprivation with no tv, no radio, no music, no movies, no computer, no reading! Going into the week, I thought I'd go crazy. Coming out of it, I was amazed at how much I accomplished because I had all this extra time! But I was still only given 24 hours each day. What made the difference? My need to consciously choose what I was going to do instead of watch tv, listen to music or check my emails.

What is your awareness of time and are you consciously choosing how you use it? Maybe you need some time to think about your answers. Go ahead - take all the time you need.

2 comments:

CoyoteFe said...

Argh! I Waste time (capitiakization intended)! I daydream; I surf the net; I submerge myself in electronics - TV, CDs, DVD, IPOD, cell. And, I know I am doing it! I would not consider it wasting time if I did not know perfectly well that I should be doing something else that is more productive and beneficial. My cable/TV/internet was out for a day last weekend, and I too got so much done. Oh, the guilt! Argh!

Pat Bennett said...

Fe - I didn't mean to create guilt, but to remind us that we hold the power of time in our hands. Not that we can change the circumstances we may find ourselves in, but that we can ask ourselves new questions about how we use the time given - what else can I do with it? Sometimes my media choices are fine - but there are many times when it's about avoidance. It's then I need to ask myself - whatcha doin'? - and then consciously choose what I do next. Now to practice what I preach! :)