Friday, March 6, 2009

The Wilderness

Change happens so fast. One minute everything is as we expect and the next minute finds us in absolute turmoil as our lives spin out of control. What happened?

Whether it's an accident, a diagnosis, a sudden death, a pink-slip or any number of other assaults on our psyches, we find ourselves totally unprepared for what's taking place. What do we do? I have a friend who says, "first you breathe." I think first you cry, but I've been told you have to breathe to cry. Ok, I'm not one to quibble. Crying, breathing ... it's all happening so fast.

I facilitate a Transitions workshop that has grown out of my own unexpected change and the lessons learned in the wilderness. What I call the wilderness others call the neutral zone, the void, the middle-muddle. So many names for the empty place between what was and what is yet to be.

Meeting those who've chosen to participate in my workshop, I'm impressed with their courage, wisdom and humor as they both face what they are going through and are willing to share their journey with others. I'm reminded of an Albert Schweitzer quote, impart as much as you can of your spiritual being to those who are on the road with you, and accept as something precious what comes back to you from them.

While I think it's me offering hope and help to others navigating the wilderness, what they give in return is incomparable and truly precious. I marvel as I watch the human spirit rise to meet the challenges life holds and come through with faith intact, hope renewed and love deepened.

Being in the wilderness can be a lonely, confusing time. There are lessons to be learned, but often we just want out. Many times it seems like the path we're following only goes in circles. However, if we will surrender to the process,
the pathway will bring us to our destination.

It's been said that change is the only constant. I believe this is true, but I've also learned change is not the enemy. Change happens on the outside, transition happens inside. The metamorphosis of caterpillar to butterfly happens inside the cocoon. When change brings us to the wilderness, there is opportunity for transformation as we dig deeper to find the hidden gifts, dreams and talents buried in us. We will emerge stronger than we believe ourselves capable of being. Change can be a good thing. We just need some time in the wilderness to discover its potential.

1 comment:

CoyoteFe said...

Another rich post! You know I love your wilderness analogy, because sometimes I NEED to go into the wilderness, not just FIND myself there to clear out all the refuse, breathe, cry, breathe settle, stand up. I have to remember that when I FIND myself there unaccountably. Breathe. Breathe. Thanks, as always!