Wednesday, August 6, 2008

New Beginnings

I've come a long way over the past two years and find myself now at the starting point of a new journey. I've crossed over the seemingly insurmountable chasm of grief. I lost my father on June 18, 2006 and two days later my husband died. The buffer of shock settled over my brain dousing me in a bath of chemicals that numbed me into a place of coping without feeling the full impact of life's new realities. Based on my belief in God, I saw His hand throughout the processes of both my dad's and my husband's passing, but it has taken a two year journey to come to the place of healed grief. God was calling them home, untying the threads that had been knit together when He made them, but now setting them free to return to their God and Maker. It is the process we will all make one day and I have two beautiful examples of God's gentle leading as the time of death approaches. But for those who remain there is a season of pain and grief.

I've traveled step by step, sometimes moment by moment, through the valley of the shadow of death. I have received many graces and recognize that "surely goodness and mercy have followed me" all these days. Now as I look forward to the new adventures, new acquaintances and new direction life has, I want to give others what I received - HOPE. It was hearing the words that I would cross over that first planted the seeds of hope in my heart. Wherever you are in your journey, please know that it is possible to cross over safely into the next season. For myself, I have chosen to begin again - to start living, start doing and, most importantly, start being. As the fog banks clear up, I want to learn new things. I want to write. My first steps are taking place right here as I use this blog to begin writing in a world outside my own private journals.

It is my hope that some of my experiences will encourage others to recognize the markers on their own life path. It is important to share the stories of transition and transformation as they happen during our own lifetime. Our lives are not meant to be lived in isolation. The lessons we learn have immeasurable value as we share them with others. To learn the lessons of others is great wisdom. May we learn together.

No comments: